FAQ: How do I add additional email addresses for a user in Exchange 2003?
In order for a user to be able to send external email messages through an Exchange server, the primary email address must be a valid external email address (not an address which only exists internally). Microsoft Exchange Server allows you to define multiple email addresses for each user in Active Directory, which makes this possible.
To define an additional email address for a user:
- Open the Active Directory Users & Computers snap-in, located in Administrative Tools.
- In the left hand pane, select the Users folder.
- Open the properties page for the user (Right-click user and select Properties).
- Select the Email Addresses tab.
- Click the New button and select SMTP Address, then click OK.
- Enter the email address, for example firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Click the OK button. Repeat steps 5-7 for each email address associated with the user.
To set an address as the default address:
- Select the email address on the Email Addresses tab of the user's Properties dialog.
- Click the Set As Primary button.